Wednesday, December 17, 2008

BOOK REVIEW: THE SHACK

I know I will be in the minority, but I did not enjoy the book at all. It started off great, and had a good story behind it. When Mac enters the shack, the story changes to more of a conversation with God. If I'm being honest, things got a little boring at this point. I got about 3/4 done with the book, and set it aside. I was encouraged by a friend to finish reading it because the end was worth it. I finished it, and it really wasn't. I did however, pick up on some bad theology and some teachings that aren't a part of historical christianity.

It provides simple answers to complex questions. This would be great if the answers were biblical, but I guess according to Young's logic, trying to make something biblical would somehow put God in a box that He can't get out of.

There is also a case made for universalism - a teaching that all paths will eventually lead to God. This is not a historic christian teaching, and not what the bible teaches.

There is also a case made for what is called new revelation. It makes the case that God is continually revealing himself to man in different ways. God may appear as Papa to Mac but in a different way to others (such as Buddha, but to be fair, this isn't explicitly stated, but an inference made when taking things to their logical conclusion. If you believe that God revelaed himself through the Bible for all people for all times, then this book isn't for you.

Orthodox Christians should avoid this book. The only thing I like about it is that I read it on my Kindle.

2 Comments:

  1. Mr. Harmless said...
    Thank...
    You...

    I can't remember if I ever posted a review of this book, but I totally agree with you. So many of my friends were loving it, but I had so many problems with it.
    The Seeking Disciple said...
    I agree! Disciples should avoid this book. Thanks for the post.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online