Thursday, May 01, 2008

KICKED OUT OF SUNDAY SCHOOL

I received the following email this afternoon and was asked if I would put it on my blog.

Today I was in the lounge eating lunch with some other co-workers, and the subject turned to church. There was a woman that teaches a Sunday School class going on about how there was a kid in her class that was disruptive. She said that she wished that they would kick him out of church or at least her class. I was amazed. The thing that I was more amazed about is that most of the people in the room agreed with her.

I am the mom of a child that was diagnosed with ADHD at the beginning of his 2nd grade year. Until our diagnosis I thought that being a mom meant that you constantly had to fight for people to see your child the way you did. There was no aspect of my son's life that I did not have a battle for him. Family, school, and yes sometimes even church. I felt like my son couldn't do the activities at church because people would realize that he was different than the rest of the kids. DIFFERENT, but not bad. He is a sweet, loving, child, that has the biggest heart. Yes, he did
not sit quietly, yes he wanted to hug other kids till their eyes popped out, yes he wanted to play instead of have a lesson, but he loved being at church just as much as the rest of the kids.

One time at vacation bible school, his teacher came to me and told me how awful he was that day and wanted to know if I could talk to him about the "proper" way to act at church. I was horrified. They had found out my son's secret. For mom's that have children like this, WE KNOW that there is a problem! You don't have to tell us. I didn't want to go back to church for a long time. I didn't want to go back to church because I didn't need one more place that I had to fight for my son. Church of all places should be a place that you are accepted warts and all. You should be able to lean on each other.

I guess my point is, that we should all realize that even those disruptive kids need salvation too. My son has the same right to be at church as everyone else. He loves it. He should not be shunned because of his behavior. We should all embrace our differences. Give that kid that tests our patience an extra hug. It is all in your attitude. Remember that that mom has fought for her child everywhere in her life, and there should be at least one place in her life that there is no fighting.

The argument in the lounge was that WHAT IF that one child that is disruptive impedes another child from getting saved. Well, if you kick this child out of church, HE WILL DEFINITELY not get it! There is no doubt that walking back into a church will be at least a long time coming. The argument should be that you have to deal with what you have been given. You get what you get and you don't throw a fit, as my son would say. We have to adapt to what our church family is. We open those doors, and we don't shut them. Who are we to decide who can come into God's
house? It is His house and we are all His children. We are all equally welcome. When we baptized my son, the church made a vow to try to help raise him to be a good christian. The congregation as a whole says:

With God’s help we will proclaim the good news (of the baptism)
and live according to the example of Christ.
We will surround these persons
with a community of love and forgiveness,
that they may grow in their trust of God,
and be found faithful in their service to others.
We will pray for them,
that they may be true disciples
who walk in the way that leads to life.

I don't know what other churches do when they dedicate a child, or baptize them if they do. I am pretty sure that most churches say something similar. That about says it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online