Friday, April 04, 2008

NONSENSE IN WORSHIP

Dave Faulkner writes:

"I don't want to be treated like I'm in Sunday School. So having to run on the spot or wave my arms during 'The name of the Lord is a strong tower' - no thanks. Nor the down to my knees and up in the air during 'Lord, I lift your name on high'- if I want a Mexican wave, I'll go to a sporting event. Besides, I've heard too many worship leaders play the intro to that song just like Steve Miller's 'The Joker'. One day, I'm going to hear someone singing in worship, 'Some call me the space cowboy'. It might be me."

"I can't get my head around the imagery at the beginning of 'I could sing of your love forever'. 'Over the mountains and the sea, your river runs with love for me' - just tell me how a river can run over the sea. Can't say I've ever seen it. And I'm no dancer, so 'Oh, I feel like dancing' - well, actually, no. God bless you if you do. Just don't ask me as one friend did once whether the Lord has released me in dance. Sorry, I'm an introvert; I know that's a sin, and I'm getting help. (Not really.)"

"I write this, aware that it's all too easy to score points and get some cheap laughs. I also know that just as in any other period of history, we are in an editing process, and not all the drivel will survive. But the phenomenon of nonsense in worship is a serious issue. Why do worship leaders and publishers let this stuff through?"

read his full post here.

1 Comment:

  1. Craig L. Adams said...
    Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. But, these are ways (however admittedly silly from time to time) to get the congregation as a whole to participate in worship. In most UM churches the problem is Hymns sung directly into the Hymn Book at a boringly slow pace. The congregation sees themselves as an audience and the preacher & choir & liturgist, etc. as the (however feeble) entertainment. Yes, there's a lot of silliness in some of contemporary worship. Yes, some contemporary worship songs are dumb. But, I don't like the more prominent traditional alternative either.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online