Wednesday, April 16, 2008

THE GOD OF ATROCITIES

John has an interesting link to a post by Dan Trabue. I got a little worked up when posting comments on these posts, and that is not like me at all. I can normally take some criticism online. Anyway, be sure to check out the comments on both of these links. I'll have a follow up post at some point after I get a chance to study further.

Here's a sample from the post:

"Now, I don’t think that God is atrocious. I think those OT passages that have God committing or commanding acts that are elsewhere condemned in the Bible (and indeed, are condemned by our own conscience – I think that it is within our own reasoning and soul that SOME acts are just wrong – killing children, kidnapping girls/young women to make them your wives – some actions are just wrong. Period.) need to be understood as a representation of God as the author understood God. NOT as a perfect understanding of God to be taken literally."

"Clearly, I think, God is not in the atrocity business. I find it amazing that some would defend such actions. How can you do so?"


I should have let it go, but decided to try and defend it. I bit off more than I can chew, I think. It is difficult to have a debate or a discussion when there is such a vast difference in views on the authority and interpretation of scripture. That is what this discussion boils down to. If you don't read anything else on this post, READ THE COMMENTS on these links (ignore mine). They are very interesting and thought provoking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online