Friday, March 07, 2008

Sunday School Wrap Up #1

For those of you who found this from the Wesley UMC website, welcome to the SundaySchoolThoughts blog. I am excited to begin teaching the new Young Adult Sunday School Class, name pending. Let me begin by giving a brief overview of the class.

The class meets in the Church Parlor on Sunday Mornings at 9:30. The church website says it is for 18-25 year olds, but I consider it more of an 18 to 20 something class. Anyone may attend at any time, so if you are looking for a Sunday School class to attend, hopefully it will be a good fit for you.

The class began on Sunday, February 24th. It was scheduled to start earlier than that, but circumstances required a later start. So if you showed up and nobody was there (I know of some) let me apologize for the misinformation.

We are currently studying the book Knowing Scripture by R.C. Sproul. It is a study on how to study the Bible. Nearly everyone owns a Bible, but few read it and fewer study it. Many will say "I would like to study the Bible, but I don't know where to begin." This study will help with this concern.

We looked last week at the questions "Why don't we study the Bible?" and "Why should we study the Bible?" We came up with a list of reasons of why we don't, and the list is here. Each reason will eventually have a link as each one is looked at more in depth.

This blog was originally started to give my thoughts on the Sunday School Class that I have been attending. Over time, it has evolved into more than that and has a wider audience. I still plan on making some information available that is discussed in the new class.

You will find a lot of intersting information here, so check back often. I try to have some deep discussions, and I try to mix in some humor, as well as links other people's posts that I find of interest. If you want to be updated as new information is added, you can sign up for email updates on the sidebar on the right. For those that are more technical, you can sign up for the rss feed.

This is a hobby for me, and I really enjoy getting an occasional comment. At the end of each post there is a comment link. If you click that you can leave a comment that will show at the bottom of the post. I review each comment, and it is a neat way to have a discussion about a topic. You can leave a comment disagreeing with me, and if you do it in a respectful way it won't hurt my feelings.

One of the first things that we need to do as a new class is to come up with a name. At Wesley, some of the classes are named Beginnings, Challengers, Disciples, Harvesters, Seekers, and Tyros. Anyone who has a suggestion can leave a comment. If there is no input, we may become the bunny rabbits, which would thrill my friend John the Methodist. Seriously, though, No. Let's come up with something else.

2 Comments:

  1. John said...
    How about a name like the Pilates? "Quid est veritas?"

    Really, a rabbit-themed class sounds like something that would get the attention of church members.

    Seriously, ya'll have got a great leader in Brett. He'll lead you to high places.
    Brett said...
    the check is in the mail, John.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online