Friday, March 28, 2008

HOW WILL YOU BE REMEMBERED?

On April 16th, 2007, the deadliest school shooting in US History took place on the campus of Virginia Tech. As people began to learn who the victims were, their myspace and facebook pages were flooded with hits. They were linked to by the media, such as the New York Times. As I perused some of the pages, I became even more saddened by what I read.

I wanted to make this post a few days after the tragedy, but it would have been very inapropriate at that time. The last thing I want to do is to appear to be judgmental of the victims. While this tragedy is what put the thougt in my head, it is a symptom that goes way beyond one event.

Fair or not, the first and last impression that people may get about you is your profile on myspace. It is understood that young adults in particular have a feeling of invincibility. I don't know if this entirely goes away with age, but it does get better. I remember a huge fight with my parents during high school because they would not let me go to a concert with some friends of mine, who were over 18. Maybe now I understand a little (mom if you read this I'm still mad).

I am not a fan of the social networking sites, although I do have profiles on some. It is so easy to forget that they are public, or maybe not even care. I think it is important to keep in mind that your page will probably outlast you. It will serve almost as a shrine letting everyone know who you are.

I don't have a lot of younger adults who read this blog, but if it applies to you, maybe it's time to clean up your profile. Maybe it's time to get serious about God like Lauren McCain was. That is how I want to be remembered.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Well son, what can I say about being such a mean and over protecting mother. I hope you will remember me when Carson and Brady are 16 and want to do something so much that it is still an issue in 30 years. The only thing I can say is that I thought I was doing what was right at the time and you are still here to write about about how unfair your mother was. love, mom
    Brett said...
    19 years ago. And it was a christian concert. How dangerous are Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith?
    I didn't know you read my blog. That is scary.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online