Monday, December 31, 2007

End of Year Maintenance

Since the end of 2007 is upon us, it as a good time to change all of the website passwords that you have. Just a simple precaution that can save you a major headache later down the road.

Last year I sat down to change all of them only to realize that I had so many sites I registerd for that it was impossible to remember them all. I purchased a password manager, so I have all of the websites and passwords on an encrypted database on my laptop. As I look at the list now, I am surprised at how large it is. I put a different random password on each of my accounts. The disadvantage is that I'll have to be at my laptop to sign on to accounts I don't use frequently because I'll never be able to remember unique passwords.

While I'm on the subject, it seems that more and more websites are making you answer random security questions in order to sign on to their sites. This is especially true with finacial institutions such as banks and credit cards. This makes the password manager somewhat ineffective, plus it is just a headache. I want to sign in and go, and not have to type in the name of my first grade teacher or the name of my first boss just to be able to enter my password.

What do you think? Are security questions a good thing, or do they just make it more difficult to conduct needed business?

Have a Happy New Year!

1 Comment:

  1. Stephen Taylor said...
    Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been good about regular changes.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online