Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Golden Compass

A new childrens movie called The Golden Compass will be out in December. The movie is based on the first book in the His Dark Materials trilogy, which was written by atheist Phillip Pullman. The trilogy is meant to oppose the message that was portrayed by C.S. Lewis in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. In the final book, a boy and a girl who represent Adam and Eve kill God. In a 2003 interview, Pullman said "my books are about killing God."

The first book is the least controversial, and some elements have been taken out or dumbed down so that it will not offend. Some fear that many kids will see the movie, which isn't that bad, then ask their parent for the trilogy for Christmas.

Books of the children's trilogy have sold more than 15 million copies and won many awards. I may see if I can get the books at the library to see if they are really that bad. I'll post the reviews on the blog.

Thanks Melissa! Source

Update: I took my son to the Scholastic Book Fair at his school today, and was surprised to see the book based on the movie. I thumbed through it, hoping to find something interesting, but it was really dull. When I let one of the teachers (who I grew up in the youth group with) know about the books and movie, the books were pulled from the shelf. I'm sure she'll be reading, so way to go!

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    It's just the religious right making the proverbial mountain out of a molehill. The books are fiction. That means they are not true. Nobody will read them and think otherwise.
    Mark said...
    They are fiction, but don't be so naive to think that reading even a book of fiction has no impact on the way you view your world.
    Clix said...
    I think it's "His Dark Materials," actually. And I found the books predictable and cloyingly insipid. They're actually VERY similar to Pullman's earlier "Ruby in the Smoke" series, with more description and an injection of steampunk.
    Brett said...
    Thanks for pointing out my gaff. I have corrected the post. I'll have to google 'steampunk'
    Anonymous said...
    you try to find a child that became a christian because he saw Narnia. I'll try to find a child that became an atheist because he saw The Golden Compass.
    This whole thing is absurd.
    Anonymous said...
    If this last comment was not disturbing, then I do not know what is. I am amazed to see this type of thinking.

    To think that media plays no part in forming todays society is absolutely absurd. We see examples of how movies negatively influence children quite often. To this day I still hear of kids recreating the "curb stomp" they saw on American History X.

    And to say that this person will try to find a child who became an atheist becuase he saw The Golden Compass is completely missing the picture. This person's statements are going to prove what I am going to say. It is not just this one movie that is going to turn children away from Jesus. It is, however, one more step in the process. If you repeat something often enough, people will assume it is the truth. This Anonymous person is an example of this.

    It appears this person has already lost Christ or at least forgotten what being a Christian means. I would suggest that this person read Ezekiel 34 and reflect on its meaning. This person is simply turning his/her back to God. He/she is not being a good shepherd.

    It is this type of soft Christianity that disturbs me. I am beginning to think that people are truly losing their religion and turning it into something very horrible.

    -Brian Moore
    Brett said...
    Nicely said, Brian. Love the passion.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online