Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Evangelism and Halo3 Revisited

In a recent post, I talked about how churches are using the new violent video game Halo3 (rated M for Mature) to draw young people to Church. In the post, I stated that I am not innocent in the games that I play, and that I spend time playing some games that are inappropriate. There is a double standard in my life because it angers me that churches and youth pastors have compromised and damaged the gospel in such a way, while at the same time I play some of the same types of games.


I have given this some serious thought over the past two weeks since writing the post. I have pulled out all of the games that I play, and all are rated E or T. I immediately took the moral high road, because my games are obviously not that bad. However, the conviction continued. Would I take the games that I play on a regular basis, put them in a Church, and lure young adults to come and play? No, I wouldn’t. It would compromise and taint the gospel message.


I gave the games a rest last week. Two weekends ago, we decided as a family (actually my wife decided) to turn off the video games and television for the weekend. We made it without video games, but didn’t quite make it without the tv. I had some withdrawals because I couldn’t watch football on Saturday, but Sunday I watched some games over at my in-laws. After all, we couldn’t ask them to turn off their television since we were at their house, right?


I have played some games since then, but I spend much less time than before. I have not played anything that would be considered inappropriate. It’s time to leave the double standard behind.



To very loosely paraphrase Mike Gundy, It embarasses me to be involved with this type of Christianity. The idea must have come from a person who didn't have a child. When you have a child some day, you will understand how it feels. I do. But some day you will. And when you child comes home, you'll understand. Double standards are garbage and playing violent video games in Church is garbage and trying to lure young kids into Church with it is garbage. Who is the kid here, are you kidding me? That's all I've got to say. makes me wanna puke. (Scattered Applause)

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    you are a better man than I am. I don't think they should be played in church for any reason, because that is not what church is for. And it is a cheap trick to try to get kids to come.
    But if I play these games in my home, that doesn't mean I have a double standard. I think you are being too hard on yourself.
    Love the Mike Gundy bit.
    John Meunier said...
    I applaud your attempt to live by the same standard inside and outside of church.

    That is good Christian discipleship and witness.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online