Friday, September 14, 2007

Is Yoga For Christians?



EC Leader Doug Pagitt and John MacArthur debate. I will admit that I was a little surprised at first to see a yoga class being offered as a Sunday Evening Activity at my church along with a variety of other Bible Classes. Something about it struck me as odd. I did almost sign up for the yoga class, but I signed up for an Old Testament class year and had trouble making it consistently because I travel so much with my job.

I respect John MacArthur a lot, and I listen to his radio show from time to time. He has also written a lot of excellent books. He makes a pretty good point towards the end of the clip, making the distinction that Christianity teaches filling your mind with the things of God while Yoga teaches filling your mind with nothing.

I'm just not convinced that people that practice yoga today see it as a religion. It's seen as a form of exercise and nothing else.

What do you think? Is it ok for Christians to practice yoga? Is it appropriate to have yoga classes (or even other types of classes such aerobics) at the church, taught by church leaders, at the same time that Bible study classes are going on?

Hat Tip

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    you question should be "is it appropriate to yoga classes (or even other types of classes that contradict christian teachings) at the church, taught by church leaders, at the same time that bible study classes are going on?
    Anonymous said...
    I'm with you Brett. Last year I told my wife that it wasn't right to see our church borrowing from non-Christian beliefs. To be honest, I must say that it is disturbing to see how easily our church can be led astray.

    I have said it before and I will say it again. I think too many members of our church use the church as a social function rather than using it for the true purpose of worshipping our Lord and Savior.

    There are many of us who are like-minded thinkers. We should all do our part in keeping our church focused on the reason for attending.

    Saying you are a Christian, attending Sunday school, being active in church functions, doesn't necessarily make you good Christian. What makes you a true Christian is truly accepting Jesus into your heart and letting him guide you throug life.

    I know many people who say they are Christians, judging by their actions, however, show otherwise. I wonder how many people in our congregation actaully pray several times a day for guidance. I bet less than you think. We need to spend more time doing His will, rather than our own will. It is simply too easy to act and say we are doing God's will without even consulting Him. Complete surrender is not an easy task, but it is the righteous way. Seek God, ask for guidance, listen to his answer and you will live a happier life. Putting aside narcism and replacing it with redemtion is a blessing.

    God Bless.

    -My Two Cents
    Anonymous said...
    Hinduism sees yoga as an integral part of itself. The emptying of the mind, and the postures involved an openning of the spirit to control by the gods that these postures are designed to invoke. I recommend going to a Hindu or new age book store and finding out how the hindu religion views yoga.
    There are other ways to physical fitness that don't involve borrowing from multi thousand year old demonic worship systems.
    Ray
    Anonymous said...
    i saw a tee shirt that says going to church doesnt make you a christian any more than going to a garage makes you a car. Turn it around. Doing yoga doesn't make you a hindu any more than going to a garage makes you a car.
    Brett Royal said...
    Not sure the t shirt analogy works. The purpose of the first statement is to teach that there are many that profess to be Christians who are not.
    The second statement is meant to teach that you can profess NOT to be Hindu while particpating in a Hindu activity.
    I see a big difference in the two. the first are people professing to be something, the second are people professing not to be something.
    John said...
    Doing yoga makes you Hindu as much as having a Christmas tree makes you pagan. So as long as any lingering spiritual aspects of yoga are dumped and it's purely exercise and relaxation, what's the problem?

    Should it be offered a church as a class? Probably not, but only because like squaredancing, it has nothing to do with the church.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online