Friday, September 21, 2007

God Gets Sued

Nebraska State Senator Ernie Chambers is suing God for “widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth’s inhabitants.” Since God is omnipresent, I guess the senator feels He can be sued from any courthouse in the country. The technical purpose of the lawsuit is to grant an injunction to keep God from causing any more heartache, but the senators real purpose is campaign against senators who promote bills to prohibit certain types of lawsuits. Chambers feels that anyone should be allowed to sue anyone for any reason. No frivilous lawsuits for this guy.

This does raise a theological question that I am too tired to tackle on this Friday afternoon. That is, what is God's role in natural disasters? Does he have a hand in them? Are they beyond his control? Why does he let them happen? Ben Witherington has an interesting post on this same topic, and really takes a shot at John Piper and his article written in response to the bridge collapse in Minnesota. I really respect both men, but I must say that I don't agree with Dr. Witherington's response at all (but most Methodists will). Maybe next week I'll post a follow up and give my opinion on the matter.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online