Thursday, June 14, 2007

It was a rough time in our household. I walked into the living room and saw my wife watching Joel Osteen. My first reaction was a little cynical. I have some theological differences with Osteen, seeing him preach a modified prosperity gospel. However, we sat and watched together. Tears rolled down her cheeks, and she said he was speaking to our exact situation. She recorded the sermon, and I know it was watched at least 3 times. She had a meeting that she had been dreading for a week, and she watched it one last time the morning of her meeting. And I will admit that I was encouraged as well.

I learned a lesson. Just because there are differences relating to matters of doctrine does not mean that everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie. I think at one point I unconsciously had a “Joel Osteen said it, so it must not be true” attitude. This is a wrong mindset to have. Indeed, many truths are taught, and his ministry is a source of inspiration for a large number of believers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online