Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Last C.S. Lewis Interview

I came across what is reported to be the last interview given by C.S. Lewis a few months before his death. During the conversation, Lewis has some stern words for "liberal authors." He also talks about his light writing tone, and why at some points humor is not appropriate. The last thing that sticks out is the distinction between a private devotional life and a corporate one.


He takes the liberal writers who are being published to task, accusing them of "continually accomodating and whittling down the truth of the gospel." This is 1963, and he is speaking of books being published, well before Al Gore invented the internet and blogs came into play. I can only imagine what he would think of Christianity in the post modern world.


Christian writers can wright "lightly" but should avoid trying to be funny. "...forced jocularities on spiritual subjects are an abomination, and the attempts of some religious writers to be humorous are simply appalling." I think I agree with this statement, but then I find myself laughing at stuff like this and making fun of stuff like this. Do things such as these cross the line? Are they an abomination? I'm not sure, and right or wrong I get a good chuckle at times. On the other hand, there are some things that should be sacred and solemn.


Speaking of solemn, Lewis also speaks of what makes a solemn worship experience, and distinguishes between "a private devotional life and a corporate one. Solemnity is proper in church, but things that are proper in church are not necessarily proper outside, and vice versa. For example, I can say a prayer while washing my teeth, but that does not mean I should wash my teeth in church." So maybe such things are funny as long they aren't done in church?


Where should the line be drawn between humor and making an abomination?


hat tip BatesLine

1 Comment:

  1. Jason Woolever said...
    hey brett. this is a good post. thanks for the lewis insight.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online