Monday, August 28, 2006

“Bring me a worm that can comprehend a man, and then I will show you a man that can comprehend the triune God.” – John Wesley

In a recent Tabletalk article, some interesting comments were made regarding this quote. Every analogy of the Trinity breaks down under closer scrutiny.

  1. Worms were not made in the image of man
  2. Worms have not been given special revelation by man
  3. No man has ever become a worm

Parsons, Burk "A Simple Mystery" Tabletalk Apr. 2006


I posted this before, but it touches me every time I read it. There are great truths to learn both in the analogy and how it breaks down. What an awesome and mysterious God.


Tags:

2 Comments:

  1. Art said...
    Thought provoking. I see both sides of it. The objections to the analogy are all valid yet they in no way (to me) make the quote less true.
    Brett said...
    I agree with you. The quote still points out a valid truth about the mystery of the Trinity. The Trinity is a mystery that cannot be fully comprehended by man. When I first read the objections, I remember getting chills. And I don't see them as objections, but I see them as pointing out further truths by pushing John Wesley's analogy further than it was intended.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online