Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hat Tip: iamchief

I got a Reformation Study Bible for my birthday last year. It has become one of my favorite posessions. I have enjoyed it immensely. My wife got it through Ligonier Ministries, and paid $70.00 for the leatherbound edition. I later found it on amazon for 37% off. I still think was worth the retail, and the money went to a great ministry. But how much is too much to pay for a Study Bible?



This September, Yale University Press will publish Jonathan Edward's Blank Bible. What is a blank bible? I'm glad you asked.



Jonathan Edwards' interleaved bible, known commonly as the "Blank Bible" is one of the treasures of Yale's Edwards collections which is seeing general public release for the very first time this year. On the blank pages sewn between each page of this leather-bound King James Version, Edwards wrote over 6000 entries in which he commented on individual scripture. His exegetical thoughts range widely, covering historical, theological, systematic, and occasional topics; some of the entries relate to other important Edwards texts while others are unique, standalone thoughts on particular passages.


It looks great, but the price at $200 is pretty steep. I can see both sides of the pricing argument, however. How much is it worth to have the ability to have the notes of America's greatest theologian as you study scripture? Ask it like that, and it seems priceless (if you're a fan of Edwards). A lot of work went in to making this available, and compensation should be given. On the other side, Would Edwards himself approve of his blank bible being sold for such a high price? Probably not. And part of me feels like this information should be freely available (maybe not the physical text, but online somehow) and distributed to as many people as possible. There are some good comments, pro and con, here.



I doubt I will ever own this Bible, although it would be a treasure to own. I am thining about starting my own Blank Bible.



Is it right to charge such a high price for Bible? What is the most expensive Bible you have purchased, and was it worth it?

5 Comments:

  1. Randal Dunn said...
    I think the Reformation Study Bible used to be published by Thomas Nelson and it was called the New Geneva Study Bible. I've got the older one and my wife has the newer. The Reformation Study Bible seems to have a better leather cover. If I had it to do over again I'd buy it for a discount somewhere other than Ligonier. I've had my concerns ever since R.C. Sproul Jr was defrocked, but especially in light of their latest Ligonier Ministries scandal I just don't think I can support them anymore.
    Brett said...
    Randall
    This makes me sad to hear. I have personally made two purchases from Soli Deo Gloria Ministries from the Ligonier Website. I look forward to further researching your post and your comments.
    Randal Dunn said...
    Talk about sad to hear did you hear about Ligonier Ministries lawsuit against blogger Frank Vance? The church is about to enter some dark days if Christian ministries can be allowed to get away with this godless behavior.
    Randal Dunn said...
    Talk about sad to hear did you hear about Ligonier Ministries lawsuit against Christian blogger Frank Vance? The church is about to enter some dark days if Christian ministries can be allowed to get away with this godless behavior.
    Randal Dunn said...
    Talk about sad to hear did you hear about Ligonier Ministries lawsuit against Christian blogger Frank Vance? The church is about to enter some dark days if Christian ministries can be allowed to get away with this godless behavior.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online