Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Slippery Slope

We then either crash at the bottom or are taken back to the top because of God's grace.


I decided a few weeks ago to to get in shape and lose some weight. I have been blogging about it here. I was dedicated and started to lose weight. I then began working out of town during the day, and there was absolutely nothing available for lunch except for fast food. Instead of packing a lunch each day, I decided that since I was out of town, I could make an exception during lunch. Last night, I decided that since I was making a "lunch exception" I could make just one "dinner exception." After all, I was getting home late, and didn't want to start digging through the kitchen for something to eat.


I see the slippery slope coming. You make one exception, then one more exception, and pretty soon your momentum makes it impossible to stop until you hit bottom. I think of Lot in the book of Genesis. He and Abraham were arguing over their flocks, so Abraham let Lot decide where he wanted to let his flock graze, and Abraham was to go elsewhere. Lot chose the good land which was near the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot knew that the city was wicked, but just pitched his tent towards the city. The next thing we know, Lot and is family are living in the city. He was later taken captive when the city was attacked.


Sin works the same way. A "minor" sin (at least in our eyes) here and there, and pretty soon we're on our way down the slope no longer convicted, and no longer calling sin "sin." We then either crash at the bottom or are taken back to the top because of God's grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online