Wednesday, March 15, 2006

If Not for the Grace of God

Before destruction the heart of a man is haughty, and before honor is humility
Proverbs 18:12

During Church on Sunday, I heard a friend of mine make a comment about another church member, who is going through some marriage problems. The comment bothered me, and it seemed inappropriate.The verse above came to mind immediately. The following isn’t an exact quote, but I feel like this is the attitude that was portrayed: “Things are going well in my life because I make good choices. He should have made the same decisions I made, and not made foolish decisions."


It’s one thing to say that a person’s decisions in life have an effect. If a person drinks heavily and drives, they run the risk of having an accident or killing someone. If a person has a propensity to lie, they won’t be believed. If a person has an affair, it will put a heavy burden on a marriage. If a person is a gossip, it won’t be long before it comes back to bite him.


It’s another thing to say that you will never make the same decisions that others have made. I believe with all my being that it is a dangerous thing to say “I would never make those kinds of decisions”, or “I would never do that.” We don’t know our own heart. If it weren’t for the grace of God, we would be in that same boat making those decisions. We are not superior to any other human being, and when we begin to believe that we are, God may put is in these exact situations to teach a lesson in humility.


How many have said:

  • “I will never get a divorce” only to wind up divorced?

  • “I will never have an affair” only to wind up having an affair?

  • “I will never have kids like that” only to wind up with kids like that?

  • “I will never tell my kids ‘because I said so’” only to wind up saying it?

  • “I will never skip class” as a college freshman?

  • “I will never have a drinking problem like my parents” only to become their parents?

  • “Tragedies (Cancer, Illness, Disease, other acts of God) happen to other people, they don’t happen to me or to my family”


What about you? What are some things in your life or your personal observations about this? Should we look down on others or should we get down on our knees humbly before God and ask Him to guard our hearts and keep us from sin?

1 Comment:

  1. Sally said...
    Add to that the fact that life is not sure and certain and even the best decisions we make can wind up with bad consequences due to the way they are recieved by others....
    I agree with you one of the things we should never do is start a sentance with I WOULD NEVER....
    Situations where other are sharing problems with us call for understanding rather than advice (unless it is asked for) ...and we must beware of feeling smug!!!

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online