Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Time Alone in the Car


Sorry for the long delay in my posts. This one rambles more than most, but I have a lot on my mind.  I have really missed everyone in Sunday School the past two weeks. Two weekends ago we were moving into our new house, and last Sunday everything was cancelled because of the weather. I really look forward to our class each week, and I really feel like I miss something when I’m not there.

I spent last week in Monterey, CA, and I am currently in a hotel in San Antonio, TX on another business trip. This has left my wife to do most of the unpacking of our house, as well as taking care of our son, and teaching her 5th grade class. I normally don’t mind the trips, but last week and the first part of this week has me feeling homesick. I want to be in our new house with my wife and son.

I drove about 500 miles to San Antonio today. I left very late, and I was very frustrated. I usually love the drives, and I take to opportunity to listen to AM Radio or my growing R.C. Sproul collection. It drives my wife crazy, but I don’t listen to FM Radio unless I’m in the car with her. I left my CDs at home, so Sproul was out. There were a few dead spots as far as radio was concerned, so I turned it off. I started digging in my console and found my dad’s scripture memory cards that he had when he was a Gideon. I put the small cards on my dash by my speedometer and began to recite them out loud. Maybe not a good idea to read and drive, but it was a great experience. Ephesians 2:8-9 was my favorite. I recited it out loud probably a hundred times.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

This has always been a passage that stuck out to me, but it really became alive today. I think we all get used to turning on the radio when we drive. I would like to suggest that for one week you turn off the radio when you are in the car by yourself. Use the time to meditate, pray out loud, or recite your favorite scriptures to yourself. Let me know what happens (if anything) if you try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online