Friday, January 13, 2006

Christian Motivation

I was at a client’s office the other day, and I noticed that a large number of employees had either motivational posters pinned onto the walls of their cubicles, or motivational sayings taped to the side of their computer monitors.  I immediately thought of a poster I saw on despair.com.  If a pretty poster and cute saying are all it takes to motivate you, you probably have a very easy job.  The kind robots will be doing soon.
I had a good chuckle to myself.  But seriously, what should motivate us?  I think as a Christian the answer should be obvious, but what should motivate us is not usually what actually motivates us.
I think I fell into this same type of trap several years ago while studying The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  I enjoyed the book, and I did attempt to apply some of the lessons to my life.  However, our motivation should not come from ourselves, it should come from God.  If it comes from within our own self, I believe it is seen as filthy rags in the sight of God (Isaiah 64:6).  I think there is a problem with Christians that rely on cute sayings and motivational posters to get them through the day.  And before everyone gets offended, I will say that I am guilty of this as well.

1 Comment:

  1. John said...
    I love despiar.com's stuff!

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online