Thursday, December 29, 2005

My wife gave me the Reformation Study Bible as a gift for my birthday back in October.  I grew up using the NIV, and I thought I would have trouble transitioning to the ESV Translation.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the translation.
I don’t know a whole lot about Bible Translations, and I only recently learned that the NIV is not a literal translation of the Bible, but a “thought for thought” translation.  I don’t know the arguments for and against it, but I think it is interesting.  The ESV is an “essentially literal” translation that tries to capture the original meaning of each word.  I know that some discretion was used with some of the pronouns used to make it more readable, but it seems to me at first glance that a “thought for thought” translation gives more room for the editors to put in their own bias and own interpretation.  Am I oversimplifying things?
There are also some interesting comments on Bible Translation on Wesley Blog.     

2 Comments:

  1. Kim said...
    Bible translation history can be facinating, and I often find much insight is gained from comparing different translations. From what I have read, one should really be wary of translations overseen by a single person -- sometimes a committee is less likely to reflect the viewpoint of a single person. You do bring up a good point. We shouldn't get all of our news from one source, and we should probably consult multiple translations for a clearer view of God's word when we study it. But perhaps I am oversimplifying things. ;-)
    Kim said...
    Me again. I ran across this post today by an Old Testament professor at a Baptist seminary. I am not baptist, but I think his look at a passage from Judges just illustrates what we are both concerned about:

    http://www.claudemariottini.com/blog/2006/01/rereading-judges-192.html

    Sorry -- I'm an infant when it comes to html, so I can't make that a "real" link.

    Kim

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online