Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Working on Sunday

I read an interesting article by Shane about taking back Sundays.  I agree with his statement that activities on Sundays have gotten out of hand, and that Christians are to blame.  This is a while back, but in high school I sacked groceries.  I told them when I was hired that I would not work on Sundays.  Every once in a while I would cover for someone that needed off on a weekend, so I would usually try to go right after church, but sometimes I would work on Sunday.  During that time, I had the smug, arrogant opinion that those that worked on Sundays were not truly committed Christians.  However, when I began to work those Sundays, I found out something interesting.  Right after church it seemed like everyone hit the grocery store.  Talk about a bunch of grumpy, complaining people.  I was shocked at how the folks that just got out of church would complain about the line, complain about the prices, complain about things not being in stock, complain about the preacher, or complain that church was too long.  I smugly thought that people at my church would not be like that, but I was wrong, and I was embarrassed.  I asked if it was like this every week, and I was told “every Sunday.”  I’m glad that I was already a Christian then, or I probably would not have stepped foot in a church if I knew that some of those people went there.

It’s not just the grocery store.  We as Christians can complain that too many activities interfere with Sunday School and Church, but when we go out to eat on Sunday after Church, aren’t we forcing people to work?  Do you think that the busboy or waiter or waitress might have gone to church given the chance?  Sunday lunch is the big time for most restaurants.  I don’t know what percentage of restaurant business is done on Sunday afternoon (someone let me know), but I’ll bet it’s substantial.  And I’ve heard firsthand how the Sunday crowd is the most demanding of all about service, and leave the biggest messes behind.

I don’t know for sure if going out to eat on Sunday after church is right or wrong.  I know that I do it.  I do know that if you take a few moments the next time you go out to eat after church and listen, you will probably hear a lot of grumbling and complaining.  I think it can be a definite turnoff to a waiter or waitress who puts up with grumbling Christians every week.  We are supposed to be the light of the world, but I don’t think our actions on Sundays are even close.  

2 Comments:

  1. Betty Newman said...
    A.W.Tozer speaks of the internal struggle of Christians in trying to separate the Sacred from the secular. He says (and I agree) it can't be done!

    Last Sunday was Laity Sunday, and I got to preach. In speaking (in part) from 1 Corinthians 10:31 ("Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all for the Glory of God.") I said that "every day" must be holy unto God, and that "every act" must be to His Glory as well.

    If we can't (or ought not) to say something "inside" Church, then we ought not to be saying it "outside" of Church...

    Jesus walked as we walk. He talked as we talk, He was hungry, He was thirsty, He got tired, He was angry and He was tempted as we are tempted. And everything He did, whether He was eating or drinking or whatever He was doing, it was pleasing to God.

    And so should we - Sunday or not.

    Betty
    Brett said...
    I agree. There is something wrong if we can go through the week without thinking about the things of God, or striving to do the will of God during the week. This is magnified, especially to the nonchristian, when as a group on Sunday all the chuches let out and head out at the same time.

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online