Friday, September 30, 2005

God Gave Them Over

we were all in a state where God gave us over to our sinful desires, shameful lusts, and depraved minds.

In my previous post I asserted that the wording “God gave them over” means that a person can get to a point where there is no hope for them. I apologize for not having a post ready for our next study of Romans, but I have started to study the text. It has changed my thoughts somewhat. I think we were all in a state where God gave us over to our sinful desires, shameful lusts, and depraved minds. I think that Paul was using this as a figure of speech to get everyone to realize exactly where they stand in God’s eyes.


Now that he made that point, we begin to see how God’s mercy and grace can deliver us from our hopeless situation.
What do you think? Can a person get to a point where God “gives them over” to the natural results and consequences of their sin to a point where there is no hope for them? I originally thought the answer was yes, but when I start to dwell on God’s mercy and grace, Instead of his holiness and wrath, I’m not so sure.

2 Comments:

  1. DannyG said...
    I'm thinking that this is a free will issue. God's mercy is open at all times, as the parable of the workers in the vinyard illustrates. (e.g. the workers who started at dawn and those who signed on in the last hours received equal pay) In this case I believe that God is allowing those addressed to go their own way in spite of his entreties. HE is allowing them to have their own way against His will in the manner of a parent who permits a headstrong adult child to do a stupid thing despite wise counsel to the contrary.
    Brett Royal said...
    I think I agree now that I have looked at it a little deeper. It appeared to me at first to be saying that once God 'gave them over' they were without hope. I still have a question about when it is too late. Is that only when you die?

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online