Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Making the Gospel Relevant


The gospel is always relevant. It's relevancy does not depend on the times or culture that we live in. It's message is timeless. The Bible is not old fashioned or out of date. It is not our responsibility to make the gospel or the Bible relevant.

My Sunday School class at Wesley is studying the book titled 12 Steps For the Recovering Pharisee (Like Me) I have really enjoyed what I have read so far. Though not easily admitted, we are all prone to self-righteousness and judgmentalism. We set our own list of personal standards and expect everyone else to follow them. We label people, even in church with labels such as "active" or "inactive". It is good to be reminded that nobody is righteous by their own merits.


I did read something that sent off some warning flags in my mind. The basic premise is that we should be spending time listening to secular music, as an example in order to get plugged into the culture so that we can be more effective witnesses. It did not come right out and say it, but I think it may be implied that we are somehow responsible for making the gospel relevant. I have heard this argument before, and I believed it for a while. What does it mean when we feel that we are responsible for making the gospel relevant, and what does that imply?


The gospel is always relevant. It's relevancy does not depend on the times or culture that we live in. It's message is timeless. The Bible is not old fashioned or out of date. It is not our responsibility to make the gospel or the Bible relevant.


There was an interesting article in Christianity Today Magazine a few years ago, and it expresses my feelings exactly. Let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online