Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Christian Responsibility

God won't do what you should do, and you can't do what God must do.

I spend a lot of time in the car. I enjoy listening to audio books. I don't listen to music very often. My time in the car is my time to pray and even study. Before I accidentally washed my mp3 player last week, I was listening to the audio book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. At first, it rubbed me the wrong way, but I gradually began to see some things from a new perspective.
It sounded like just another self help book. I've heard it all before: "you are the captain of your own ship" "you are your own boss" "you are responsible for yourself" alarms began going off in my head. Scripture teaches that man is corrupt, man doesn't know his own heart, man is sinful. We need Jesus to complete us. Anything that puts man at the center instead of God is promoting idolatry. As I was playing this over in my mind, I almost turned it off. I then remembered something I read a long time ago.


Suppose you are a farmer. You have the responsibility to plant and tend to your crops. It is hard work, and it is your responsibility as the farmer. You are also dependent on God to provide rain and sunshine. God won't do what you should do, and you can't do what God must do. It's sort of like cramming for finals, and praying that God get you through and keep you mentally alert. You may be depending on God to keep you mentally alert, but you had the responsibility to keep up with the work. How would you cram on a farm? What if God provided the rain the sunshine, but you didn't plant anything?


The concept of grace and works is to complex to discuss in detail in this posting. I have always been one to lean way towards grace. I still believe what I said earlier. Anything that puts man at the center instead of God is promoting idolatry. I learned, however, that if God is truly at the center of your life, and you realize that in the end, you are dependent on Him to do what you can't do, you better be doing what you should do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online